Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Surgery success!

Over the Christmas break, I had surgery to remove the ganglion cyst on my wrist. It was pretty massive.


I had to be put to sleep for the surgery, which I was actually grateful for. I would not have the self control to not look and I would have most likely passed out anyway. :-) Instead, I go knocked out medically. The anesthesiologist told me I might feel a little burning in my veins as the medicine went in. I felt the burning, but didn't fall asleep. I laid there freaking out thinking "I'm supposed to be asleep! Why am I not sleeping?" Then I woke up with this giant club of an arm.



Two weeks later, I went back to the doctor's to get the club taken off and the stitches underneath removed. I didn't take a picture that day, but this is what it looked like once the steri-tape stuff came off. It turned out there were 11 stitches hiding under there. The doctor kept telling me over and over again how HUGE my cyst was. He said it looked big on the outside, but there was a ton hiding underneath too and most cysts have one stalk that goes down into the joint, but mine had three. Apparently, it was pretty noteworthy for him since he stopped and told me how huge it was at least three times during the appointment.



The scar is healing up nicely now. The doctor said I may need hand therapy to help me regain full range of motion in my wrist, but that won't start for another week or two to make sure everything is healing the way it should. All in all, a very positive experience, but next time I'll choose not to have a club for an arm over Christmas break. :-)

No comments: